Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Visual validation


Visual validation


I’m going to make this personal. I just returned from my annual check-up with one of my (increasing) stable of physicians. I have been a patient of Dr. B’s for 39 years — through three “successful” pregnancies, several breast scares, and a hysterectomy. Obviously, not all fun times, but overall positive outcomes. As many doctors as I’ve had to see through the years, he remains my favorite. Why? Because he validates my concerns and celebrates my health.

Today’s visit started by his smiling at me and saying with genuine admiration, You REALLY look good. Do you know nice that is? To look eye-to-eye at a health professional who isn’t buried in drop-down files on the EMR or going through the motions with a foot out the exam room door? Who I’m sure is assessing my health status, not just tossing compliments because by meeting my gaze, this doctor also has been known to see through my upbeat (or not so much) demeanor and ask what’s up.

I know as a journal OWM repeatedly beseeches clinicians to treat the whole person, not just the hole in the person, and to avoid minimizing patient concerns. Just know that this is a mental as well as a physical health issue. Please, notice us patients. We are far greater than the sum of our imperfect parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment